Poltimore Village Fete, August 2011
For the Poltimore Village fete we decided to focus the Poltimore Community and Landscape Project’s display on the Parish of Poltimore. With the hard work of many volunteers the display consisted of Poltimore Parish census data from 1851-1911, transcriptions from Poltimore Village school log book from 1876-1888, maps indicating how the village and surroundings have changed since the 1837 Tithe map – in particular the addition of new roads and the removal of others. One of the highlights of the display that intrigued many local people was the use of census data to indicate how properties names had changed.
In addition, a poster describing Poltimore House’s change from a private hospital to a NHS hospital (below) encouraged a great deal of discussion with many visitors having stories as patients, visitors or staff at Poltimore Hospital and clearly demonstrated that Poltimore still holds a special place in their hearts. Over all, the response to the display and the project was very positive with people signing up as volunteers and/ or to take part in a test pit survey that we are hoping to be able to conduct within Poltimore village in 2012.